Community Services Specialist
A full-time position with benefits, 35-40 hours a week, is available in Columbus, Ohio.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to Shannon Seger at email@example.com.
Bachelor’s degree in the Human Service field preferred. Ability to communicate fluently with individuals who use sign language. Experience in providing advocacy services related to accessing the community, understanding social service agencies, and awareness of public services. Experience working with all ages. In-depth understanding of deafness, deafblindness, and deaf culture. Must possess driver’s license and vehicle. Flexible time availability based on community needs.
• Must take and pass drug screening and background check.
• Native or fluent in American Sign Language; SPLI Intermediate Plus rating or better.
• Intermediate MS Office skills and ability to navigate technology needed to perform duties of the position (Google Drive, Zoom, Facetime, etc.)
• Willing to travel to different counties/areas of Central Ohio to provide services.
• Must have strong decision-making skills and current knowledge of employment soft skills practices.
• Appropriately complete written reports required by the referral sources.
• Complete documentation as needed related to accreditation and referral sources.
• Experience in working with contract requirements by local and state agencies.
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with teams and diverse groups.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide peer support and personal advocacy services to individuals who are deaf, deafblind, hard-of-hearing (adults, children, and families) within the community.
• Information/Referral services to individuals who are deaf, deafblind, and hard-of-hearing to appropriate community services/agencies.
• Assists in the development and implementation of youth programming.
• Provides tutoring, language acquisition, and living skills to individuals who are deaf, deafblind, and hard-of-hearing and have relocated from another country.
• Provides community learning courses for daily living skills to deaf, deafblind, and hard-of-hearing.
• Develops and provides presentations to businesses, agencies, and employers.
• Fosters and develops relationships within communities.
• Other assigned duties as directed.